Heightened Public Awareness of the Profession
- National marketing campaigns to make the public more aware of midwives and midwifery. Visit www.ourmomentoftruth.com to see how ACNM is engaging the public and educating them about midwifery!
- Updated for 2013: Evidence-Based Practice: Pearls of Midwifery presentation provides members with a tool to explain the art and evidence behind midwifery
- Promoting greater professional recognition and identity
- Consumer resources such as our new Normal Birth Consumer Document , the Share with Womenhandout series published by the Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health and the Find A Midwife online midwifery practice locator
- Marketing midwifery by representing the profession at health care conventions and tradeshows, such as the American Public Health Association International Confederation of Midwives, and National Student Nurses Association.
- ACNM's Department of Global Outreach extends the mission with training and advocacy programs around the world.
Support Regarding Business and Clinical Practice Issues:
- Endorsed Liability insurance program for members from Contemporary Insurance Services, Inc.
- Officite LLC providing member discounted Web site design and hosting for midwifery practices and individual providers
- Consultative assistance on employment practices, clinical practice issues, billing and reimbursement issues, and quality of care issues
- Guidance on regulatory and institutional accreditation issues
- National representation with relevant external health agencies
- Practice support publications, such as white papers, clinical bulletins, and position statements found in the online ACNM Library.
Government Affairs Activities:
- Input on important issues through the College's national office in Silver Spring, MD, just outside Washington, DC.
- Liaison with regulatory bodies such as CMS and HHS, as well as state regulatory agencies
- Speak Out for Midwifery, an interactive online tool that allows members to communicate with their federal and state policymakers
- Tracking and analysis of state legislation and regulations including an Online Tracking Center for members
- Comprehensive state policy guidance, including summaries of state laws and regulations governing midwifery
- Provide strategic consultation, issue briefings and state lobby day plans to ACNM affiliates and their lobbyists
- Answer questions concerning state legislative and regulatory requirements and provisions
- Advocacy for midwifery causes with Midwives-PAC.
- Lobbying on federal and state midwifery issues
- Coordination of grassroots lobbying efforts
Support for Midwifery Education:
- Engage federal funders to ensure that there is an adequate supply of CNMs/CMs
- Collaborate with the A.C.N.M. Foundation to fund student scholarships
- Printed materials, speaking engagements, and exhibits aimed at recruiting nurses into the profession
- Development and maintenance of the Standards and Core Competencies
- Identification of sources for student scholarships and/or loan programs
Publications that inform and educate:
Opportunities for continuing education:
Special discount programs:
Opportunities to lead or be recognized:
Web site services, such as: