By Ellen Martin, CNM, MS, FACNM
Chair, FACNM Board of Governors
Applications will be available after January 12, 2016 for advancement to Fellowship within the ACNM. Members who are interested in becoming a Fellows-at-Large to be inducted at the 2016 ACNM Annual Meeting are invited to apply.
Deadline: March 1, 2017
Note to applicants: If you have any problems with this program please contact Ellen Martin at [email protected]
Current roster of ACNM Fellows
Board of Governors
Ellen Martin, Chair (thru 2019)
Nancy Jo Reedy, Vice Chair (thru 2018)
Leona VandeVusse, Treasurer (thru 2018)
Kate Harrod - Secretary (thru 2019)
Region 1: Cecilia Jevitt (thru 2019)
Region 2: Catherine Salam (thru 2017)
Region 3: Mavis Schorn (thru 2019)
Region 4: Cindy Farley (thru 2017)
Region 5: Jackie Tillett (thru 2018)
Region 6: Patricia Murphy (thru 2017)
Region 7: Heather Bradford (thru 2018)
Governors at Large
Carol Howe (thru 2019)
Teresa Marchese (thru 2018)
Lisa Hanson (thru 2017)
Amy Levi (thru 2018)
Leslie Cragin (thru 2019)
Document drafts for review by Fellowship from Ellen Martin.Operational Policies for the FACNM Board of Governors
2008 ACNM Bylaws, Article XV, Council of Fellows
Annual Duties of the Board of Governor Officers
The ACNM Fellowship program was established in 1994. There have been 217 ACNM members thus far inducted as Fellows.
PURPOSE OF ACNM FELLOWSHIP
Fellowship in the American College of Nurse-Midwives (FACNM) is an honor bestowed upon those midwives whose demonstrated leadership, clinical excellence, outstanding scholarship, and professional achievement have merited special recognition both within and outside of the midwifery profession. FACNM represents the commitment of the ACNM to honor our own. In light of the vast wealth of expertise and collective wisdom represented within the body of Fellows, its mission is to serve the ACNM in a consultative and advisory capacity.
All ACNM presidents as well as Hattie Hemschemeyer Award recipients automatically become Distinguished Fellows of the ACNM. Distinguished Fellowship is conferred for the lifetime of the individual and can only be revoked by a two-thirds vote of the FACNM Board of Governors (BOG).
Honored Fellowship was a special recognition bestowed by the FACNM Board of Governors to midwives who had accrued outstanding achievements within the midwifery profession, ACNM, and/or women's health care field during a career that spanned more than four decades. Up to four individuals a year were invited into Fellowship by the BOG, bypassing the usual application process. They were designated lifetime Honored Fellows of the ACNM. This category of fellowship was retired in 2004.
FACNM BOARD OF GOVERNORS
The following are elected to the Board of Governors (BOG): Chair, Vice-Chair, Treasurer, Secretary and seven elected Regional Governors who serve a three year term with two Regional Governors replaced each year. Regional Governors represent the same regions as are in the ACNM. All elected members of the BOG are already Fellows in the ACNM.
Each year, the FACNM BOG accepts applications for Fellowship and elects new Fellows-at-Large from a slate of candidates. Fellowship is conferred for the lifetime of the individual and can only be revoked by a two-thirds vote of the FACNM Board of Governors. In addition to being Certified by the ACNM/AMCB and having sustained active or associate membership within the ACNM for a minimum of five consecutive years, elected Fellows must meet the following criteria:
- ACNM/AMCB leadership on national or international levels. (30%)
- ACNM leadership on regional, state, and/or local levels. (30%)
- Pioneering, innovative, and/or unique contributions to midwifery clinical practice, education, or care of women, infants, families, and communities on local, state, regional, national and/or international levels. (15%)
- Contributions to professional growth of midwifery through precepting/mentoring, scholarly endeavors, publications, or research on local, state, regional, national and/or international levels. (15%)
- Other significant contributions to perinatal or women's health care or to health care policy on local, state, regional, national and/or international levels. (10%)
APPLICATION AND ELECTION PROCESS
- FACNM application - register online.
2017 Criteria - download.
- The applicant should address all sections of the application to be completed by the applicant (original work only), assemble the completed application, a current CV, a letter of support from your sponsor and any other letters of support (a maximum of two letters of support in addition to the letter by the Sponsor). A $50 non-refundable application fee will be collected payable to ACNM/FACNM. Members of the FACNM BOG are not eligible to serve as sponsors. The applicant identifies their Regional Governor in the application and the Regional Governor will receive electronic notification that the application has been submitted.
- ACNM Fellows, other than members of the BOG, may independently nominate prospective candidates. In such cases, a letter citing the nominee's qualifications for Fellowship should be sent to the candidate for inclusion with his/her application and no additional sponsorship will be required. The applicant sends the entire package to her/his Regional Governor.
- Regional Governors process the applications from their regions and sign off on those that are complete. They may also add a comment regarding the applicant/application. The Regional Governors will then forward them on to the BOG Chair who, in turn, will prepare them for the election process.
- The entire BOG will be notified that they can assess the entire slate of candidate applications and supporting documents. Each BOG member will make selections on the attached ballots and return them to the BOG Chair. Election is based solely on the contents of the application and ballots are independently cast. There is no discussion of applicants among members of the BOG. No lobbying, internal or external, is allowed.
- The BOG Chair issues letters of invitation to those candidates who have been elected.
- A written acceptance is returned by the stipulated date along with a 150-200 word professional biography and a portrait photograph for publicity purposes. A $125 induction fee made payable to ACNM/FACNM must also be remitted at that time.
- A formal induction ceremony is held at the following ACNM Annual Meeting. If possible, prospective Fellows should be in attendance the year that they are elected. If such is not possible, the candidate may choose to defer induction for one year or may be inducted in absentia. A certificate of Fellowship and a medallion will be presented at the time of induction.
- Following induction, Fellows are entitled to use FACNM after their names.
- Application to Fellowship will be limited to three times over the lifetime of an applicant. This policy will not be enforced retroactively for those applicants who applied prior to 1999.
Projected Timetable for FACNM Application
Completed Materials from:
Application is available on the website
Application is completed
BOG Voting is completed
New Fellows are notified
New Fellows return information
This page was last modified 5/16/2017 1:15:13 PM