Midwife as Surgical First Assistant is an expanded practice area for the CNM and CM. The midwife who serves as first assistant in surgery, functions as a perinatal and birth professional in the perioperative setting. The workshop’s focus is on applying current evidence so midwives can participate and provide continuity of care for clients during a cesarean section. In this course, you will learn core knowledge and skills needed to perform as the surgical first assistant for cesarean, at a novice level. This virtual workshop is designed specifically for midwives and addresses promotion of vaginal birth, shared decision-making and informed consent, and functioning as an active member of the perioperative team.
Attendees learn how to perform immediate pre-op preparation of the client for surgery, and during surgery provide optimal surgical exposure, participate in tissue dissection, ensure hemostasis, perform or facilitate wound closure, and perform other intraoperative functions to assist the surgeon in carrying out a safe operation that optimizes outcomes.
Following the workshop, each participant is responsible to set-up mentored experience at their clinical setting to gain competency in the skills needed to function efficiently, effectively, and with greater confidence as a member of the perioperative maternity care team.
Midwife as Surgical First Assistant Objectives
Midwives are encouraged to consider training to become a surgical first assistant as an expansion to their clinical practice. The Midwife Surgical First Assistant book is the initial step to gaining a foundation in assisting. The subsequent optional examination assesses the knowledge you have gained from studying the book and provides with a certificate of completion. Earning the First Assistant Certificate of Completion is the next step to applying this new expanded skill to your midwifery practice. In addition, please reference these additional resources:
The Midwife as First Assist at Cesarean Resource List
Midwife First Assistant Case Evaluation Form
CEUs OFFERED: 10 CE / 1 RxCE
INSTRUCTORS: Nicole Olshanski & Lauren Carratu
*Student Non-Member: $599.00
*Contact [email protected] to receive Student Non-Member pricing and be prepared to submit proof of enrollment.
REGISTRATION & CANCELLATION POLICY
Please review the registration and cancellation policy prior to registering and note that by registering you agree to adhere to this policy in full. The registration and cancellation policy can be found here.
For this virtual training, all participants are required to be in a stationary location. In addition, registrants will need to have their cameras on for the entire training. This workshop is not recorded and can only be attended live.
Instructions for registration (READ IN FULL)
You will register for the First Assist Workshop and access prerequisite materials via the ACNM Learning Management System. To register for First Assist and purchase the First Assist materials you must be logged in to your account. If you had an account in the old Online Learning Center, then you have an account in the new system. Please use the email address that was previously tied to your old account. Click the link here to create a password. Click the link here to log-in to your account.
If you are not a member or did not have an account in the old system, you will need to create a new account in the online learning center to register. Click the link here to create an account. If you have any trouble, please submit a request to the LMS Contact form.
Textbook & Exam (Required)
In addition, to the below workshop registration fee, the following required items will need to be purchased in the ACNM Learning Management System (Login required). Please note that the below are a prerequisite for attending this virtual workshop as you are required to take the exam at least 4 days before the workshop session and obtain a passing grade to participate in the virtual training.
You may either purchase the prerequisite items a la carte:
- The Midwife as Surgical First Assistant Exam
- The Midwife as Surgical First Assistant Book - Print Edition | Digital Book
purchase the prerequisite items all together in a bundle:
- The Midwife as Surgical First Assistant Bundle (digital book, and exam)
Video Series (Required)
You are required to review The Midwife as Surgical First Assistant Video Series prior to the First Assist training day. These videos and the textbook are the foundation of the course and will be referenced heavily by the course instructors. Additionally, the series will assist you greatly in expanding your knowledge and being adequately prepared for the training.
You may access a link the video series in the First Assist course description.
Once you are enrolled for a First Assist Workshop session, you will need to secure the below for the training:
- Suture scissors: (recommended Straight, Blunt Points, 5.5”)
- Needle holder: (recommended Mayo-Hegar Needle Holder, Straight, Serrated Jaws, 7.0”)
- Tissue forceps: (recommended Straight, Standard Serrated Tips, 5.5”)
- Retractor: (recommend Richardson, Army Navy, or Roux Retractors)
**2023 First Assistant Virtual Workshop Dates - Registration is now open:
- Tuesday, January 17 (10:00am – 4:00pm EST) – Registration closes on Monday, January 2
- Tuesday, February 21 (10:00am – 4:00pm EST) – Registration closes on Monday, February 6
- Tuesday, March 21 (10:00am – 4:00pm EST) – Registration closes on Monday, March 6
- Tuesday, April 18 (10:00am – 4:00pm EST) – Registration closes on Monday, April 3
- Please note that the May First Assist Workshop session will be hosted as part of the 2023 Annual Meeting and therefore be subject to different registration, instructors, and policy. Information concerning this session will be made available on the 2023 Annual Meeting site once available.
- Tuesday, June 20 (10:00am – 4:00pm EST) – Registration closes on Monday, June 5
- Tuesday, July 25 (10:00am – 4:00pm EST) – Registration closes on Monday, July 10
- Tuesday, August 22 (10:00am – 4:00pm EST) – Registration closes on Monday, August 7
- Tuesday, September 19 (10:00am – 4:00pm EST) – Registration closes on Monday, September 4
- Tuesday, October 17 (10:00am – 4:00pm EST) – Registration closes on Monday, October 2
- Tuesday, November 14 (10:00am – 4:00pm EST) – Registration closes on Monday, October 30
- Tuesday, December 12 (10:00am – 4:00pm EST) – Registration closes on Monday, November 27
**All the dates listed are subject to change, but all learners enrolled will be given notice as soon as changes are made. Please review the Registration & Cancellation Policy for details on refund deadlines.