Patient Safety & Quality Improvement in Women's Health Care
Look to this page for important resources and announcements of upcoming events designed to help you improve the quality and safety of the midwifery care you provide.
ACNM Normal Physiologic Birth Initiative
- The 2012 document, Supporting Normal and Healthy Physiologic Childbirth: A Consensus Statement by ACNM, MANA, and NACPM, explicitly identified key benchmarks of safe, healthy, and normal physiologic birth. The ACNM Physiologic Birth Initiative builds on this framework by creating tools to assist maternity care providers, women, policy-makers and payers to protect, promote and support healthy physiologic childbirth and to avoid overuse of interventions, thus achieving better care, better health, and lower costs.
All Standard-Setting Documents can be found in the ACNM Library
Coalition for Quality Maternity Care
- The Coalition for Quality Maternity Care (CQMC) works to establish national strategies to ensure access to affordable, high quality maternity care for all women and infants. CQMC consists of ACNM, 8 other founding organizations, and 10 partnering organizations.
- International Midwifery Standards
The International Confederation of Midwives (ICM) has established a set of global standards, competencies, tools and guidelines to ensure that midwives in all countries have effective education, regulation and strong professional associations.
- NICE Guidelines for Intrapartum Care
In December 2014 the UK's National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) released updated guidelines stating that women with uncomplicated pregnancies are better off in the hands of midwives than hospital physicians during birth. Although these are UK guidelines, they are based on evidence and focus on the same entrenched issues that impact clinical care decisions right here in the United States.
- Quality and Patient Care in Labor & Delivery: A Call to Action
This white paper was a collaborative effort from ACNM, Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, American Academy of Family Physicians, American Academy of Pediatrics, and Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses.
- National Quality Forum
The National Quality Forum (NQF) reviews, endorses, and recommends use of standardized health care performance measures. Performance measures are essential tools used to evaluate how well health care services are being delivered.
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement
The Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI), is an independent not-for-profit
organization based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and is a leading innovator in health
and health care improvement worldwide.
- The Commonwealth Fund
Created by the Commonwealth Fund Commission on a High Performance Health System, the National Scorecard on US Health System Performance is the first-ever comprehensive means of measuring and monitoring health care outcomes, quality, access, efficiency, and equity in one report.
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC) National Center for Health Statistics
Visit the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) web page for a CDC fact sheet summarizing NCHS data and key findings on patient safety.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
AHRQ manages an online National Patient Safety Network, a comprehensive web resource for providers and patients, providing a collection of selected patient safety news, literature, tools and resources.
Quality indicators are measures that focus on healthcare processes, structures, or outcomes and help to indicate the quality of healthcare. This information can be used to improve care and to prevent adverse outcomes. AHRQ compiles indicators derived from common hospital administrative data. Included in AHRQ's patient safety indicators are national hospital data on birth and obstetric trauma.
- Nursing Alliance for Quality Care (NACQ)
The mission of NACQ is to advance the highest quality, safety, and value of consumer-centered health care for all individuals -- patients, their families, and their communities.
- Water Birth Resources
- Oral Health
- Council on Patient Safety in Women's Health Care
The mission of the Council on Patient Safety in Women's Health Care
is to continually improve patient safety in women's health care through
multidisciplinary collaboration that drives culture change.