Protect Patient Access and Promote Hospital Efficiency Act
What is the "Protect Patient Access and Promote Hospital Efficiency Act?"
- H.R. 4663, the "Protect Patient Access and Promote Hospital Efficiency Act" amends the law governing the Medicare program to allow Certified Nurse-Midwives (CNM), Nurse Practitioners (NP), Clinical Nurse Specialists (CNS) and Physician Assistants (PA) to sign certifications of the medical necessity of inpatient admissions that have been ordered by a CNM, NP, CNS or PA. (Note that CMs are not included as Medicare does not yet recognize CMs as independent providers of services under the Medicare program).
- Talking Points
- Issue Brief
- H.R. 4663 Full Text
- Section 1814(a)(3) of the Social Security Act - the underlying statute that is modified by H.R. 4663
- Letter of Support from nursing organizations
- A Dear Colleague Letter circulated by Reps. Black and Schakowsky asking other Representatives to support H.R. 4663.
Is Your Legislator a Co-Sponsor?
- Check to see if your legislator is a cosponsor of this bill. Go here, search for H.R. 4663 and click on the link for "Cosponsors" associated with this bill.
Take Action Now!
- You can use ACNM's legislative action center to send a message to your legislator asking him/her to support this bill.
- You can also encourage your colleagues, family members, or friends to use ACNM's Action Center to advocate on your behalf. It's simple and quick.
For more information, contact ACNM Federal Representative Patrick Cooney at 202-347-0034, [email protected].