Home Birth Resources
ACNM offers a variety of valuable resources concerning the midwifery provision of home birth:
- Our NEW Clinical Bulletin on home birth, which presents recognized methods and techniques for clinical practice that midwives may consider incorporating into their practice. Access to this clinical document, published in the Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health, is an ACNM member and JMWH subscriber benefit. Login is required.
- The ACNM Position Statement on home birth confirms our views that women are encouraged and supported to make informed choices regarding the type of maternity care experience that will best meet their individual needs, including location for the birth experience and planned home birth.
- Also available is an updated edition of our Home Birth Manual, which contains a wealth of history, guidance and other pragmatic information for the midwife in home birth practice. The updated edition is available at the ACNM Store.
- The Home Birth Transfer Guidelines were developed by a multidisciplinary group of home and hospital-based providers and stakeholders who were delegates at the National Home Birth Consensus Summits in 2011 and 2013. These guidelines are informed by the best available evidence on risk reduction and quality improvement.
- An annotated guide (bibliography) to the literature on home birth. This bibliography is offered as a resource for assessing the quality of the available evidence on planned home birth, for the purpose of clinical decision making or to contextualize the current international debate on safety, access, ethics, autonomy, and resource allocation with respect to birth place.