Government Affairs Committee and Midwives-PAC Seek Student Representatives
The Government Affairs Committee (GAC) and Midwives-Political Action Committee (Midwives-PAC) seek four Student Representatives for a minimum one-year term starting at the 2013 ACNM Annual Meeting. Applicants do not need prior legislative or policy experience. Attendance at the 2013 Annual Meeting is strongly preferred. This position is a great way to learn about the legislative process, work collaboratively with other midwives and student midwives to advance midwifery, and have fun along the way. Please send an email of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by Friday, May 3, 2013. ACNM membership is required.
Role of ACNM Midwives-PAC/GAC Student Representative
- Four midwifery students elected nationally to sit on the ACNM Midwives-PAC Board of Directors and the GAC, who will share responsibility as desired and function as conduits between these two committees and the student legislative liaisons. These four students will ideally be from different ACNM regions.
- Report to Midwives-PAC and GAC chairs.
- Each student will have equal voting privileges with Midwives-PAC and GAC.
- Term: one year (renewable if still in a midwifery program)
- Maintain updated list and recruit more students to the PAC/GAC student liaison group from midwifery programs with name, contact info (including both email address and phone number), state of voter registration, federal and state legislators, and graduation date.
- Monitor and maintain the student liaison listserv (currently with Google groups) and respond to comments and questions when needed.
- Email action alerts to the student liaison listserv with Capwiz links and appropriate contact information.
- Email GAC and Midwives-PAC minutes to student liaisons (when appropriate).
- Participate in GAC and Midwives-PAC conference calls (each held monthly).
- Help organize and participate in periodic GAC/PAC student conference calls.
- Educate student legislative liaisons from each midwifery program about the GAC, PAC, and ACNM legislative agenda.
- Encourage student legislative liaisons (and their classmates) to participate in current political action as needed via the listserv and personal or phone contact with student liaisons.
- Educate local ACNM affiliate about current legislative action needed.
- Participate in social media such as ACNM Students and causes on Facebook.
- Attend Midwives-PAC and GAC meetings at the ACNM Annual Meeting.
- Recruit new GAC/PAC Student Representatives at end of term.