ACNM's State Policy Agenda - 2013-2014
Expand Women’s Access to Full Scope of Certified Nurse-Midwife (CNM®)/Certified Midwife (CM®) Services by Championing:
- Reforms to state law and rule that will guarantee CNMs/CMs equal opportunities to obtain unfettered clinical privileges as full voting members of the medical staff at hospitals.
- Full scope billing as well as equity in reimbursement for CNMs/CMs under Medicaid programs.
- Efforts to ensure that CNM®/CM® interests are adequately and appropriately represented in Affordable Care Act implementation at the state level
- Efforts to ensure that further implementation of the Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) Consensus Model is in line with the American College of Nurse-Midwives’ (ACNM) standards for CNM®/CM® education and practice.
- Efforts to increase CNM®/CM® recognition as independent practitioners by advocating for, among other things, the removal of collaborative agreements and/or supervisory requirements from state law and rule.
- Professional liability reforms, such as the establishment of alternative dispute resolution options, and ensuring the inclusion of CNMs/CMs in cost containment, risk management or demonstration programs.