Instructions for Sponsor’s Letter of Recommendation
Thank you for agreeing to support this midwife’s application for Fellowship of the ACNM. The FACNM Board of Governors has streamlined the application process. A letter from a sponsor is now optional but very much appreciated. This letter must be written by an ACNM Fellow. If you are not a Fellow, please advise the applicant that they must choose another sponsor. Here are some considerations for your letter:
1. Review the applicant’s CV and application and the current Criteria for ACNM Fellowship
on the ACNM web site.
2. Begin your letter with how you know the applicant.
3. The applicant’s CV/resume might refresh your memory; however, your letter shouldn’t
summarize or repeat information already in the CV/resume.
4. Your letter should highlight the applicant’s work and the unique contributions the applicant has made to midwifery. The purpose of the letter is to allow the applicant to shine, with information that perhaps was not included in their application.
5. Also review the criteria scoring grid
to ensure that the applicant has chosen items in at least 3 of the 5 categories.
6. Review the application to ensure the applicant does not list any item in more than one category.
7. Your letter is limited to 2 single-spaced pages and can be submitted as a PDF or Word document.
8. Once complete, there are two options for submission. You may share your letter with the applicant who will upload it as part of their application or the applicant can supply your email address on the application form and you will be contacted to upload the letter.