The Twentieth Century Midwives' Midwifery Legacies Project
The Twentieth Century Midwives' Midwifery Legacies Project began in 2010 as a way of capturing and archiving personal stories of CNMs/CMs at the completion of their professional journey. Since its inception, the project has collected numerous written and video histories of senior midwives.
The Twentieth Century Midwives Story Collection is archived at the A.C.N.M. Foundation, Inc. headquarters and used in print and electronic form to publicize and promote the midwifery profession nationally. There are 2 options for participation in the Midwifery Legacies Project:
- The Student Interview Project: an award-based arm for students currently enrolled in an ACME-accredited midwifery education program. This option offers a $1,000 monetary award for the best interview, and is given annually at the ACNM Annual Meeting
- The Midwife-to-Midwife Interview Project: a volunteer arm for individuals already certified as a CNM/CM who are interested in contributing an interview of a peer CNM/CM to the story archives
FOR STUDENT PARTICIPANTS:
Student Interview Project Award
Student midwives who are members of ACNM who are enrolled in an ACME-accredited midwifery education program and participate in the A.C.N.M. Foundation's Twentieth Century Midwives Student Interview Project are eligible for this award. Student interviews are one important aspect of the Twentieth Century Midwives Story Collection of the Foundation's Midwifery Legacies Project. Students meet and interview a senior midwife, record her/his story and write a reflection essay that focuses on what they learned from the midwife they interviewed and how their listening to the senior midwife may influence their midwifery career. Awards are given annually to the student(s) who submit the most outstanding interview and reflection essay.
- Enrollment Deadline: February 15
- Completed Project Deadline: April 1
- Download Information Packet
FOR PARTICIPANTS ALREADY CERTIFIED AS A CNM/CM:
Peer Volunteers for the Midwife-to-Midwife Interview Project
CNMs/CMs who are members of ACNM are encouraged to volunteer to interview a senior peer CNM/CM for the A.C.N.M. Foundation's Twentieth Century Midwives Story Collection. The stories, along with interviewer names, are archived at the A.C.N.M. Foundation headquarters as part of the Twentieth Century Story Collection and used in both print and electronic format to help promote the profession of midwifery.
- Enrollment is accepted on an ongoing basis
- Completed Project Deadline: within 1 year of application
Midwifery Legacies Project Video Interviews
The Twentieth Century Video Interviews can be viewed on YouTube