Quality Care for Moms and Babies Act
August is "Midwifery Advocacy Month," the perfect time to talk to your legislators about the "MOMS 21" bill. The materials below will help you educate yourself and your legislators about the value of the "Maximizing Optimal Maternity Services for the 21st Century Act (MOMS 21)."
What is the "Quality Care for Moms and Babies" Bill?
Is Your Legislator a Co-Sponsor?
- Check to see if your legislator(s) are sponsoring this bill. Go here, click on the button specifying "Bill number" above the search bar in the center of the screen, then search for "HR 896," and "S 425" Once you have the result, click on the link to "Cosponsors" to see the list.
How Can You Take Action?
- Call your Representative and ask them to co-sponsor HR 896 and tell your Senators to cosponsor S 425.
- After your call, send a follow-up email to the person you talked with.
- Write a letter to your Senators and Representative inviting them to visit with you in your practice so they can learn more about the value of midwifery care. Here are sample letters you might use:
- Encourage your physician colleagues to write to their legislator(s) in support of the MOMS 21 bill.
- It's the Little Things - Cassie Moore, ACNM Writer and Editor
Let's Get Political - Emily Hoger, SNM
Every Month is Advocacy Month - by Kathryn Kravetz Carr, CNM; Brielle Stoyke, CNM; and Jeni Poell, CNM
Building Relationships: My First ACNM Lobby Day, Blog post April 6, 2011- Jenifer Poell, CNM, WHNP-BC, VIce-Chair, ACNM Government Affairs Committee
MOMS 21 Blog Post August 9, 2010 - Kathryn Kravetz Carr, CNM, Chair, ACNM Government Affairs Committee
MOMS 21 Blog Post July 27, 2010 - Kathryn Kravetz Carr, CNM, Chair, ACNM Government Affairs Committee
MOMS 21 Blog Post July 19, 2010 - Heather Bradford, CNM, Ex-Officio, Government Affairs Committee, Chair, Midwives-PAC
For more information, contact ACNM Federal Representative Patrick Cooney at 202-347-0034, email@example.com.