Maternity Providers Education Act of 2015
What is the "Maternity Providers Education Act of 2015?"
- The "Maternity Providers Education Act of 2015" would require Medicare to make payments to teaching CNMs for services of medical interns/residents and midwifery students under their instruction in the same fashion as Medicare currently pays teaching physicians for the services of medical interns/residents who they oversee. The bill will also permit grants from the Health Resources and Services Administration currently made to advanced nursing education programs to be used to support clinical education.
- Draft Legislative Language
- Talking Points
- Letter of Support from the majority of CNM and CM education programs in the US
Current State of the Legislation
- ACNM worked with the office of Congresswoman Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA) to formulate the language of this legislation. We are currently seeking to encourage specific key Representatives to agree to sign on as original cosponsors so that when the bill is formally introduced it will have bipartisan status, a key to passage in the divided Congress.
- ACNM has established an action alert that can be used by our members in these key districts to send an email to their Representatives and encourage them to be original cosponsors. We have also also set up another alert that can be used by this same group to follow up their email message with a phone call. When doing so, please point your legislators to the draft legislative language and talking points above.
Take Action Now!
- If you live in the district of one of the key Representatives ACNM is encouraging to become an original cosponsors of this bill, your input is critical! You should use ACNM's legislative action center to send a message to your legislator and follow up with a phone call asking him/her to support this bill.
- You can also encourage your colleagues, family members, or friends who live in these districts to use these same alerts to make their voices heard as well.
For more information, contact ACNM Federal Representative Patrick Cooney at 202-347-0034, email@example.com.