Join the GAC
Join the Government Affairs Committee (GAC)
To apply to the Government Affairs Committee, send your resume to [email protected].
Members serve three‐year terms, which start and end at the conclusion of each Annual
Meeting. To inquire about open positions or for additional questions about joining,
email [email protected] and include “GAC position” in your subject line.
Qualifications needed to join the Government Affairs Committee:
- Agree to a pledge of confidentiality and conflict of interest
- Demonstrate interest in the political and policy work of ACNM
- Able to attend most monthly conference calls
- Able to attend Annual Meetings at least every other year of the term
Job Description for Government Affairs Committee Members:
- Develop and evaluate political and economic policy related to midwifery practice and women’s health
- Participate in the development and implementation of the ACNM Legislative Agenda
- Work with ACNM Federal Lobbyist and the Director of Government Relations to coordinate and implement ACNM legislative efforts
- Initiate and coordinate the ACNM grassroots response for political change
- Serve as resources for local chapters/affiliates and states for political action on state and federal legislative issues
Government Affairs Committee and Midwives-PAC Seek
Affairs Committee (GAC) and Midwives-Political Action Committee
(Midwives-PAC)seek two Student Representatives
for a minimum one-year term starting at the 2016 ACNM Annual Meeting.
Applicants do not need prior legislative or policy experience. Attendance
at the 2016 Annual Meeting is strongly preferred, participation in committee
meetings and at the Midwives-PAC Rally are essential committee activities.This
position is a great way to learn about the legislative process, work
collaboratively with other midwives and student midwives to advance midwifery,
and have fun along the way.Please send an email of interest and
resume to [email protected] by April 15, 2016. ACNM membership is required.
Midwives-PAC and GAC Student Representatives
midwifery students chosen nationally to sit on ACNM’s Midwives-PAC (2 Student
Reps) and GAC (2 Student Reps), who will function as conduits between these two
committees and the Student Legislative Contacts (SLCs).These four
students will ideally be from different ACNM regions.(Two new Reps will
be coming on this year; two are continuing their term from last year.)
to Midwives-PACand GAC chairs.
student will have equal voting privileges within the Midwives-PAC and
One year, from annual meeting to annual meeting (you will continue for the full
year, even if you graduate during that year). Renewable if you will still be enrolled
in a midwifery program at the time of the next annual meeting.
description, all Student Reps
- Participate in Midwives-PAC, GAC,
GAC/PAC Student Representatives, and SLC in person meetings at the ACNM Annual
with the Midwives-PAC Rally at Annual Meeting.
in social media such as ACNM Students on Facebook.
new GAC/Midwives-PAC Student Representatives at end of term.
Duties specific to GAC
in GAC conference calls
quarterly SLC conference calls.
SLCs about current and upcoming legislation, via email list. Encourage
participation in current political action.
the Midwives-PAC Student Representatives with recruitment and organization of
student volunteers in the annual PAC-a-thon, a calling campaign in which
student volunteers encourage past Midwives-PAC donor to contribute again in the
Duties specific to Midwives-PAC
conference calls (held monthly).
with assistance from the GAC Student Representatives, recruitment and organization
of student volunteers in the annual PAC-a-thon, a calling campaign in which
student volunteers encourage past Midwives-PAC donors to contribute again in
the current year. The PAC-a-thon is the Midwives-PAC’s 2nd largest
in quarterly SLC conference calls.