Financing Your Midwifery Education
Financial aid is available from a number of sources to assist you in financing your midwifery education. The following information is by no means exhaustive, but provides initial leads and resources for financial aid.
- Contact the financial aid officer at the schools you are considering attending. They are professionals at finding scholarships, loans and other forms of assistance and can be a very valuable resource.
- Congress appropriates millions of dollars for a variety of programs supporting students, including loans/ scholarships for eligible applicants and service paybacks for those who work in underserved/rural areas. Extensive information on federal funds can be found at the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Web site.
- ACNM also updates a Web page with other scholarship opportunities here.
- The Indian Health Service (IHS) is committed to encouraging American Indians and Alaska Natives to enter the health professions and assuring the availability of Indian health professionals to serve Indians. The IHS recruits students for the following programs: The Indian Health Professions Preparatory Scholarships; the Indian Health Professions Pregraduate Scholarships; and the Indian Health Professions Scholarships. More information is available atwww.ihs.gov/JobsCareerDevelop/DHPS/Scholarships/learn_more.cfm.
- The National Health Service Corps (NHSC) offers a loan repayment program to nurse-midwives and other health care professionals that commit to working in underserved areas across the country. The Scholarship Program offers payment of tuition and fees, books, supplies, and equipment for up to four years of education, and a monthly stipend. In return, for each year of support, the recipient must serve one year in a federally designated health professional shortage area of greatest need. For Scholarship information or a Loan Repayment application, call the NHSC Helpline at 1-800-221-9393 or e-mail [email protected]. To find out more about this program, visit http://nhsc.hrsa.gov.
- Create your own source of funding. If you can demonstrate the need for nurse-midwifery services in your community, a local hospital, clinic or private practice may be willing to support you in full or part in return for a practice commitment.
Questions, comments? Click here
to contact ACNM.