Disaster Preparedness and Response Caucus
The Disaster Preparedness and Response Caucus (DPRC) of the American College of Nurse-Midwives
This caucus was approved by the ACNM Board of Directors in September 2011. Our purpose is to promote the health and well-being of women and infants during both domestic and international humanitarian crises through advocacy, policy building, and direct response. Any ACNM member or student member is welcome to be a member of this caucus— no previous disaster experience required.
The current initial activities include participation in workgroups to define our scope:
- Building partnerships and liaisons with organizations that have similar interests
- Developing an application and preparation process for midwives who want to volunteer in disaster settings
- Creating a system of communications that can be both informative about and responsive to the needs of the DPRC members, the ACNM community, and the public at large.
Officers: Karen E. Hays, CNM & Robbie Prepas, CNM are the Co-Chairs of this caucus (terms of service June 2012 – May 2015). For more information, please contact Karen E. Hays (firstname.lastname@example.org), Robbie Prepas (email@example.com), and the Program Coordinator for ACNM Department of Global Outreach (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Meetings: Our first exploratory meeting was held in San Antonio, TX, on May 24, 2011. We meet annually at the ACNM Annual Meeting. The next meeting was held during the 2013 Annual Meeting in Nashville, TN on June 1, 2013.
Download the following documents to learn more and to register to participate:
- The ACNM DPRC Deployment Preparation Information Sheet is intended to assist you to be as prepared as possible before setting out on your volunteer activities.
- The ACNM DPRC Deployment Application Form covers personal, educational, and professional information as well as preparation, code of conduct, and a consent & release waiver. After reviewing the Preparation Information document and filling in, printing, and signing the Deployment Application Form, please scan and email the pages to Karen Hays at email@example.com.
Subscribe to the Disaster Caucus Listserv below to network with others interested in getting involved in disaster relief efforts:
Disaster Response Resources: