CLINICAL PLACEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES
Used with permission from University of Washington, School of Nursing
Nurse-Midwifery Education Program
This is a summary of potential responsibilities of the Nurse-Midwifery student, the Clinical Site Preceptor, and the educational program faculty, during the student's clinical experience. While there may be variation between individual programs in how these responsibilities are assigned and what the roles are called, this sheet gives an overview of the responsibilities and teamwork involved in placing midwifery students and can be tailored to the specific needs of your program or as a starting point for discussion between all parties involved.
This section can be tailored to address what skills can be expected of the student in any given clinical experience. It will help preceptors understand where the student is in the program and what is realistic to expect from the student.
The student comes to the clinical site with varying levels of ability to:
- Take a complete health history, as indicated.
- Take a concise, pertinent history and do focused exam for a specific complaint.
- Perform a complete physical exam (including pelvic exam), when necessary, and distinguish normal from abnormal.
- Make appropriate judgments about the diagnosis and management of common health problems.
- Record and verbally present historical and physical findings in an accurate, succinct and logical manner, using appropriate terminology, and a problem-oriented format, as used in the setting.
- Obtain appropriate consultation, as indicated.
- Order/obtain basic laboratory tests when appropriate, and interpret findings.
- Prescribe pharmacologic and
non-pharmacologic therapeutic modalities.
Responsibilities of the Student:
- Contacts the clinical site preceptor regarding schedule for clinical experience, prior to the beginning of the term.
- Completes HIPPA training, submits required documentation and obtains security clearance as required by each clinical site.
- Is at the clinical site only when the preceptor is there. Arrives at site on time to allow for preparation at beginning of clinic day. Completes charting in a timely manner prior to preceptor and student leaving clinic.
- Contacts the site preceptor as early as possible if unable to be at a clinical site as scheduled.
- Identifies and shares his/her learning needsand clinical experience objectives(approved by faculty) with the site preceptor by end of first clinical week and negotiates ways in which these objectives will be met during the experience..
- Presents assessment and management plans to the preceptor in a logical and succinct manner.
- Submits paperwork including patient write ups, soap notes or management plans and clinical self evaluations to faculty according to course requirements.
- Maintains a log of patients seenin accordance with HIPAA rules and eliminating any identifying information and submits it to faculty.
- Maintains professional appearance and behavior. Dresses in accordance with site expectations.
- Facilitates site visit by educational program faculty representative.
- Arranges meeting with the clinical preceptor to complete formal written evaluation of student's clinical performance at the end of the term. Returns completed clinical evaluation forms to the faculty academic advisor at the end of each academic term.
- Maintains up-to-date statistics and makes them available to faculty per program requirements.
- Acknowledges contributions of the clinical site and preceptor to her/his learning at the end of the term.
- Provides completed evaluations of the site, preceptor, and clinical experience to the faculty academic advisor per program requirements.
- Meet with faculty academic advisor per program requirements.
Responsibilities of Clinical Preceptor(s):
- Orients the student to the clinical site.
- Selects patients, with student input as appropriate, for assessment in relation to course objectives, student's goals, and level of expertise.
- Outlines, with the student, professional and site specific parameters of responsibility for patient workup, documentation, feedback, and disposition.
- Observes interactions with patients during the clinical experience to evaluate the process and quality of care provided (including student identification and assessment of chief complaint, significant history taking including relevant symptom analysis, physical exam, laboratory procedures, assessment, and plan).
- Listens to student present the case of 1-2 patients seen during the day using a formal case presentation format.
- Encourages the student to commit themselves to an assessment of patients and suggestion of possible management plans.
- Validates findings and consults with the student about the patient workup and management,
- Reads student chart notes, o-signs if chart notes are part of patient chart and documents their own note in the patient chart
- Makes time to review the clinical experience at the end of each shift and to assist student in meeting ongoing learning objectives
- In the last week of clinical, completes an evaluation of the student's performance, using the form provided by the education program, and discusses this with the student.
- Communicates immediately with program faculty regarding a student whose performance is unsatisfactory or unsafe, or whenever there are anyconcerns about student's progress.
- Seeks out feedback from the student and the Community Liaison/program faculty regarding clinical experience provided at the site.
Responsibility of Program faculty:
- Recruits, assigns, and coordinates clinical preceptors/sites and students.
- Communicates by telephone with clinical site preceptor about student progress or concerns.
- Coordinates clinical site visit per program requirements. Assesses student clinical performance during site visit and provides feedback to the student, preceptor and academic advisor.
- Communicates with clinical preceptors, faculty, and students in order to maximize student learning and problem-solve when necessary.
- Communicates student's clinical progress to Academic Advisor and Program Director.